Saturday, April 4, 2009

Doubletree Time

Kendra and I finally arrived in Boston at about 10:15 PM on Friday evening. Our flight went very well, until we actually landed on the ground & tried to procure a shuttle to the Double tree hotel. We called when we got our luggage & were told that the shuttle would be there in 20 minutes. So we lugged said luggage out to the curb & waited & waited & waited & waited. No shuttle. I called the hotel & asked where our shuttle was and a nice man (who we later came to know as Jose) told us that the driver had been by two times & couldnt find us. I called him a liar; Kendra said something else. Finally, David arrived. Double Tree time should never be confused with "Double Time." Here are my two most favorite quotes from David.
#1 - "My favorite thing to do in Boston is drink & party." (thanks David, you can do that anywhere, and we're wholesome girls, and you dont look like much fun to party with anyway)
#2 - (Kendra asks why there is a cookie on their shuttle van) "uuuuhhhhh chocolate chip cookies are what we stand for, I guess." ....good David, good answer.....

On Saturday we decided to just explore the city & get our bearings of what was around us. We began by taking the redline to Boston Commons, which is the start of the "Freedom Trail." This trail takes you all over Boston to visit historical sights & was totally awesome b/c there are literally bricks to walk along and direct your path....and its free. Kendra & I plan on seeing everything in Boston that is free.

Some of the best things we saw - The King's Church. Absolutely gorgeous.
Paul Revere's House (which is in Little Italy - and I find that kind of hillarous). Old North Church - where the laterns signaled to Paul Revere "One if by land, two if by sea."
Clam Chowder from Quincy Market.
Walking through Haymarket - perhaps some of the best produce I have ever seen for an incredibly cheap price. 4 oranges for $2, 4 apples for $1, and Kendra got us a bunch of cilantro to much on - yes to much on.
Watching these breakdancer guys do some amazing stunts in front of John Hancock's statue. (watch the video below)
And last but not least, I ate the most incredible cannoli I have ever had since moving south of the mason dixon line. If you ever go to Boston, you MUST go to Mike's Pastry Shop in Little Italy. I will be eating the Napolitan I got there for dinner tonight. So in case you were keeping track - my meals today were a breadbowl of clam chowder, cannoli & Napolitan. Delicious & nutritious.
Go to http://www.kendrasands.blogspot.com/ to read a lovely story about how we saved a small girls life today :) we're awesome

Well, Kenni & I are off to watch the Heels in the final four at an alumni viewing in Kendall Square (Cambridge) with some Carolina friends of mine who live in Boston. Go Heels!

I will post pictures tomorrow, when I can borrow some wifi from Bruggers & not have to be on this rediculously slow hotel computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment