Tuesday, December 28, 2010

mmmmmm::Chili::mmmmmmmmm


For the first time in like a bajillion years Charlotte saw snow on Christmas day (even if it did come late in the eventing, it still counts). As expected, in true southern fashion, the city shut down. I decided it was a perfect day for chili & ran out to the grocery store to make a delicious meal for my friends & family. I was one of 5 people on the completely clear roads. Anyway, all that to say, here's my chili recipe (please forgive the lack of measuring, I'm not a big fan of it & tend to cook to taste).

1. marinate 1.5 lbs stew meat in:

+12 oz any beer

+garlic powder

+cumin

+chili powder

+salt

+pepper

+hot sauce (I prefer Frank's) - a few dashes

+1 Tbsp olive oil


2. Allow stew meat to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes


3. In a large sauce pan add 1/2 chopped yellow onion & saute for about 3 minutes in 1 tbsp of butter


4. Add stew beef (WHITHOUT the liquid marinade - set aside the marinade, do NOT discard) to the onions. Brown on both sides (3 minutes per side)


5. Throw the following (and I mean throw, there's nothing fancy about it) in the sauce pan:

+liquid marinade

+1 can vegitarian chili beans

+1 can pinto beans (w/ liquid)

+1 can corn (remove 1/2 the liquid)

+1 can rotelle tomatos


6. Season to taste with chili powder, garlic powder, salt & black pepper


7. Bring to a simmer over low heat & allow to cook for at least one hour


8. Serve with your favorite toppings (cornbread, corn chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, etc
Enjoy! Drae Speller told me it was the best chili he ever ate. I'll take his word for it.

1 comment:

  1. Jared told me it was delish too. Sounds like a keeper. I just may have to add that to my recipe book!

    ReplyDelete